Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The bid is in...

Got the first bid. Surprisingly, the numbers didn't shock me. Of course, the bid didn't include plants... or anything fancy like built-in barbecues or outdoor fireplaces. My Smith & Hawken portable firepit will have to suffice in the fire department. Lighting wasn't included either; or raised beds; or the biggie-- construction of my greenhouse. They don't want to mess with it, but will refer me to a general contractor (versus landscape contractor).

So, I'm attributing the fact that the numbers didn't phase me to a) they're bidding on just the basics (grass, sprinklers, mow strip, etc.), b) they're fairly reasonable and c) I'm getting a bit jaded in my old age.

The one splurge is flagstone in D.G. (decomposed granite). We all know flagstone is expensive, but the funny thing is, I was told D.G. has gotten pricey! How could something that looks like rocky dirt, or dirty rock, that gets stuck in your shoes and scrapes up your hardwood floors be pricey? Is there no justice in the world?

Contractor visit #2 is happening today! Should be interesting to have a comparison...

No comments:

Post a Comment