Saturday, May 13, 2006

In-ground tomatoes versus containerized


So far, my containerized tomatoes are winning the growth-rate race. The ones in containers are being spoiled with Black Gold Organic Potting Soil, while the in-ground plants are thinking, "Uh, Angela? When's the last time you added compost to these beds? Our roots can barely breathe down here! And would it kill you to feed us more regularly? Sheesh!"

Actually, I think the in-ground soil temperature hasn't caught up with the pots yet. Later in the season, it'll be trickier keeping the containers watered often enough.

Will the in-ground tomatoes catch up? Which plants will be the healthiest and put out the most tomatoes? The tastiest tomatoes?

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. wow, that's quite a difference. I'll be interested to see how the race ends and if the tomatoes from each taste different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:48 AM

    Go Tomatoes Go! I guess if you had self watering containers (they even make self watering wine barrels now too) there would be no contest. But why did you skip the compost in the garden? Sounds like an unfair advantage to me. Keep us posted on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did topdress with compost and mixed a little in at planting time. I just didn't add as much as I could have... should have... considering how clayey my soil is. The in-ground tomatoes are catching up, though!

    ReplyDelete