Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The right fountain at the right price



My parents bought a house that came with a monstrously oversized fountain complete with spouting lions. It was in a circular bed surrounded by pavement. I can't even remember if there were plants in the bed. All you saw was lions. They lived with it for awhile but eventually the fountain went to a better home (where it reportedly looks nice). We (I) planted bloodgrass in the empty bed and it has filled in very nicely.

The other day my mom and I were at Costco when we saw these really tall, ceramic fountains in earthy greens, teal, amber and ivory. At the bargain price of 162 bucks, it didn't take long to realize how perfect it'd be in the middle of the bloodgrasses.

We brought the thing home yesterday and the men set it up today while my mom and I sat together in nearby chairs trying not to tell them how they should be doing it. Exausting work, I tell ya.

Water sheets slowly down the sides and all you hear is a peaceful lapping sound. In addition to the parts you see, there is a wide matching basin that holds the water. It had already been placed in the grasses when I took the pics.

As if the fountain wasn't cool enough to begin with, the fountain top is like a birdbath, complete with recirculating water!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Seredipity! I can't get over how perfect that fountain is for the planting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantabulous!it'll be fun to see what sort of bird life comes to check it out. I'm sure I could supply them with a couple of deer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look perfect for the spot it's in. I can't tell, is the container hollow with a flat ceramic top that the water bubbles out and over, or does the whole container fill with water, eventually spilling over, and out the side?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... what a wonderful find! It fits beautifully. I can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trey, the top has an approximately 1 1/2 inch deep basin which fills with water. It also sheets over the sides and returns to the bowl below.

    ReplyDelete